At Pento we're building a better, faster, and more modern way for companies to run and automate payroll. We're looking for a Backend Engineer to join our growing team. Your mission is to help us help our customers, by ensuring we are building a world class product.
The role ✨
We’re looking for a Backend Engineer who cares deeply about building flawless product features while challenging our thinking on software architecture. Someone with a passion for building performant and reliable systems, and that are always up for a challenge.
This is an opportunity to join a team of talented problem solvers, looking at untangling a complex problem and finding a simple solution. Through your work, you will have a direct impact on how people get paid, by helping us take Pento to the next level and building seamless experiences for our customers.
Our tech stack ⚙️
We build and host our application using modern and reliable technologies that our team knows and trusts, including React, GraphQL, Golang, PostgreSQL, Docker and Kubernetes.
What will you be doing? 💼
- You will research, develop and document new software solutions;
- You will work closely with both product and design to understand our customers' needs and iterate on findings to deliver a great user experience throughout our platform;
- You will collaborate with the product engineering team in an agile manner;
- You will take operational responsibility for the code that you write over the entire software development life cycle;
- You will provide support on our production code, from customer related operations to bug fixing.
We'd love to hear from you if 👀
- You have a few years of professional experience in software engineering, working in a team environment;
- You have experience in backend development, building, running and debugging web applications;
- You are knowledgeable about statically typed programming languages and relational databases, preferably Golang and PostgreSQL;
- You are familiar with defining and building GraphQL APIs;
- You are passionate about writing understandable and testable code.
...or even if you miss experience in some of the technologies mentioned above but are whiling to learn them 📚
What can you expect? 🧧
- Competitive salary;
- Tech and equipment of your choice;
- The opportunity to join an early stage tech company on an incredible trajectory;
- An equity option plan so you can benefit from our success;
- Remote working and flexibility.
What it's like working at Pento 👩💻
We're a technology company, not an
accountancy, payroll bureau, or similar. We build beautiful payroll software that automates all manual workflows and we usually help companies cut 50-80% off the time they spend on payroll. That means no spreadsheets, no e-mails, and no manual bank transfers. We've built an easy-to-use software product, that does all of this automatically.
You can see a short video by our co-founder and CEO, Jonas, here:
Why now is a really exciting time to join 🚀
- The UK payroll process hasn’t been disrupted since… ever
- Every company runs payroll, but very few companies are happy with their current process
- Pento makes payroll up to 80% more efficient (we are probably conservative here)
- We already see strong inbound demand from companies all over the UK
- Our customers love Pento - our NPS is above 70 (check our Trustpilot by the way)
Our team 💚
You can learn more about what we are all about and how we like to work here:
Hi there 👋 Pento Home is where we document and share everything that makes Pento, Pento. Most of it is public - feel free to take a look around 🤗
We're a remote-first company and a diverse group of people. We believe in inclusiveness and are committed to building a team as diverse as the people we create our product for, representing a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We welcome applications from everyone – regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.
We don't believe hiring is a tick boxing exercise, so if you feel you don't match the job description 100%, but would still be a great fit for the role, please get in touch!
We look forward to hearing from you!